The history of Yverdon castle

Three rooms on the ground floor document the history of the castle, from its construction in the 13th century to its culmination in the Bernese period (1536 to 1798). The first contains two models illustrating the changes made to the building: one shows the fortress during the period of Savoy rule (as it was in 1420), and the other shows how it looked during the Bernese period (17th century). The two other rooms are the ceremonial rooms from the Bernese period, both with splendid paintings: the governor’s audience room where the entire ceiling is decorated, and the more private “Nebenstube”, whose walls feature large fragments of landscape paintings and whose ceiling is enhanced with gold moulding.